Kori Development Project
New! Visit our Shop and help support the Kori Development Project …… (click here for more details)
To empower, enable and educate women and girls in Kori Chiefdom, Sierra Leone.
The Kori Development Project (UK registered charity 1158663) works to educate, empower and improve the health of women and girls in Taiama, in the KORI district of Sierra Leone.
Led by our founder, Rose Simbo, herself a midwife born in Sierra Leone and our board of trustees we raise funds and collect supplies for our various projects.
- Building, stocking and maintaining a community library.
- Funding women to till the fields and generate food and cash.
- Building and stocking a piggery for food and cash.
- Transforming a donation of soap into products to sell for cash.
- Making reusable sanitary towels so that girls no longer need to miss school.
- Raising awareness of Female Genital Mutilation and the hazards it represents for women and girls.
- Building, furnishing and equipping the Ann Hay Vocational Centre, Taiama
- Building, furnishing and providing educational supplies for the Gill Curry School, Gbunhehun
- Building, furnishing and providing educational supplies for the Bob Simson Technical Secondary School, Bai Largo
- Building the Midland Arden Women’s room to provide a separate space for meetings and activities such as weaving and dyeing of cloth
- Clearing land and planting the Johanna Raffan Memorial Orchard, Taiama, funded by members of Soroptimist International
These are just a few examples of what we do. YOU can HELP us do more by donating to a specific project or collecting supplies. Browse this site to find out HOW. More details on donating on our CONTACT page.
Latest News from the Kori Development Project
The last three news items are published below here. To open one please click on the image if one is present, the title or the read more link.
The Bob Simson Technical Secondary School – going from strenth to strength
Student sucess We have heard about how the Bob Simson school has been rebuilt and strengthened against damage by future storms. We also supplied classroom furniture, such as strong tables with metal frames, and metal and plastic chairs. These cannot be bought...
Bob Simson Technical Secondary School – update
Bob Simson Technical Secondary School Six years ago, the only secondary school between Moyamba junction and Taiama was severely damaged during a storm, with the roof actually being blown off. You might think this would close the school completely, but you would be...
Why do we send knitted items to Kori?
Knitted jumpers helping babies to have a good start in life For many years we have been sending knitted items to Taiama. These include tiny hats and jumpers for babies, and little blankets to wrap round them like a shawl. These are given to those pregnant ladies who...
Visit the news & events page to view all of the news items from the Kori Development Project.